Phil joined TMS as a Director in 1998 and is a Chartered Engineer with 35 years experience in highways, transportation, traffic management and road safety engineering.
Prior to joining TMS, Phil worked for Warwickshire County Council as the Traffic and Safety Group Manager. Phil also worked at Cleveland County Council in traffic and highway engineering.
Phil has a number of technical roles at TMS:
- developing and managing training courses as well as speaking on them
- to manage transport, traffic and road safety projects
- to develop services such as the provision of Quality Audits for new residential developments
- as a road safety auditor completing around 800 road safety audits
- producing policy guidance and publications for several local authorities including road safety plans and consultation guidance
- producing technical guidance on a wide range of traffic and road safety subjects including traffic calming, speed management, junction design, traffic management, road safety audits and disability access
- advising on scheme design issues
- producing the Irish national traffic management guidelines publication
- contributing to other publications and books on the above subjects
- speaking at conferences and seminars for CIHT, IHE, SoRSA etc
- being involved in work in Iceland, Korea, Canada and Europe
Outside the office Phil is a mountain biker (occasionally managing not to fall off!!) and supporter of Middlesbrough Football Club.